TECHNET Archives

February 2002

Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 10:25:53 +0800
Hi, All,

I'm still trying to reconcile all the continued use of silicon adhesives
(as recommended by several learned members of this forum) with all the
learned discussion about how terrible it is to put silicon anywhere near
boards because of contamination issues. Is anyone prepared to put his/her
neck on the line and try for a definitive statement on this issue - is
silicon on boards good, OK or bad? If it's bad, why are so many still doing
it? Is it Force Majeur, are there no alternatives, or is there a mysterious
land out there where the use of silicon is not detrimental and the benefits
are worth having? Which land is this?

Peter

                    Phil Nutting
                    <PNutting@KAISERSY        To:     [log in to unmask]
                    STEMS.COM>                cc:     (bcc: DUNCAN Peter/Asst Prin Engr/ST
                    Sent by: TechNet          Aero/ST Group)
                    <[log in to unmask]>         Subject:     Re: [TN] Adhesive Recommendations?

                    02/13/02 09:14 PM
                    Please respond to
                    "TechNet E-Mail
                    Forum."; Please
                    respond to Phil
                    Nutting

Rick,

Way back in the very early seventies when I was working on research
payloads for rockets we used (Dow Corning?  GE?) 3140 and 3144 RTV.  Now
thirty years later we use Dow Corning RTV 737.  It has good electrical
characteristics, good moisture resistance and sticks like crazy. We buy it
in 3 oz. tubes and 10.1 oz "caulking cartridges".  For ease of dispensing
we transfer from the 10.1 oz cartridge into 30cc syringes and then use
0.063" tip for fine application dispensing.  The dispenser is air operated
and the assemblers love it after having to fight with the half empty "tub
caulk" size tube for years.

For instant gratification there are several clear RTV products available at
the local hardware store that are used for general bonding and sealing.
Like replacing those tiles in the bathroom that have come loose.

It isn't high tech but it has worked for many years.

Phil Nutting