TECHNET Archives

February 2002

From:
Miguel Vallejo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 09:16:02 -0800
To expand a bit in the transfering-to-the-syrenge technique, we fill and
re-fill the syringe through the tip of the syringe--rather than from the
top--to keep air bubbles out of the cylinder, thus minimizing turn-over of
syringes due to dried out left over, and maximizing the working life of the
RTV in the syringe:

1. using a caulking cartridge and gun, cut off the tip of the cartridge so
that the opening is slightly smaller than the nipple of the syringe(the
piece that goes inside the needle).
2. With the piston in the bottom of the cylinder, insert the nipple of the
syringe to the tip of the cartridge.
3. While holding the syringe with one hand, actuate the caulking gun to
release the RTV. The RTV will push up the piston as it fills the cylinder.
4. If any air is trapped between the RTV and the piston, it can be purged by
pushing the piston down while the exit of the syringe is shut (as
recommended by some air dispensing units).