TECHNET Archives

February 2002

From:
"Hiteshew, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 18:25:35 -0500
Rick,
        What about the "old standby" RTV (Room Temperature Vulcanizing
silicone adhesive)? We use it all the time for just the applications you
stated. A good general purpose product is TSE392-C, available from GE
Silicones. Also, don't be afraid of seat-of-the-pants solutions. A piece of
22 awg solid copper tinned wire makes a great hold-down strap when mounted
across a component. Plus, it's easy to install. No trimming of insulation or
wire tinning required. Provide two holes (centered on the component and
located just beyond the max size of the part), solder in one side, thread
though the other hole and pull tight, then solder that side. Cheap and
effective. Great for a securing a component against shock. Used in tandem
with RTV (which has great vibration damping characteristics) it makes an
affordable and effective solution.

Michael Hiteshew
Lockheed Martin NE&SS Marine Systems
410-682-1259