TECHNET Archives

February 2002

From:
Dennis Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 21:27:11 EST
I have reprinted a recent posting from Conductor Analysis Technologies of
Albuquerque, New Mexico.  They are in the business of analyzing test boards
from various board fabricators to determine capability.  One of the criteria
from their analysis is microvias, and I think they can infer plating
uniformity from conductor thickness uniformity across a panel.  They may have
Motorola available information already - I do not know if Motorola has asked
them to audit various board shops already.

The IPC-PCQR2 Committee also mentioned below is in the process of
standardizing test vehicles for capability of board fabrication shops around
the world.  That committee has data on 15 shops so far, and is on the way to
30 data points by the time of IPC Expo at the end of March.  Plating, and
especially microvia plating, is part of the capability vehicle.

Suggest you contact CAT about capabilities to qualify the plating at your
fabricators.

Denny Fritz
MacDermid
Subj:    Between The Conductors and CAT News Notes