TECHNET Archives

February 2002

Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 17:11:24 +0800
.... tacky past fux, eh? Never thought of bringing any of those to work.

Peter

                    tuan.bui@CONE
                    XANT.COM             To:     [log in to unmask]
                    Sent by:             cc:     (bcc: DUNCAN Peter/Asst Prin Engr/ST
                    TechNet              Aero/ST Group)
                    <[log in to unmask]        Subject:     Re: [TN] BGA Rework Using Paste vs.
                    ORG>                 No Paste

                    02/01/02
                    02:58 AM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "TechNet
                    E-Mail
                    Forum.";
                    Please
                    respond to
                    tuan.bui

Jeff,

We have been working and reworking BGA and Micro BGA for quite sometime.
This is a requirement in a prorotye environment. We tried using micro
stencil when we first attempt to replace the BGAs and found out that using
micro stencil was not a good method. We then tried using no-clean tacky
past fux and applied to both the BGA and the PWB substrates. This process
has been adopted in our process and has been working well for us. Here are
some great benefit of using flux paste only.
     - No micro stencil cost.
     - No cleaning is needed (No-clean flux).
     - No aligning equipment is needed, since we can place the BGA into its
footprints without worry about     smearing the solder paste, and if the
hand alignment if off ( no more than 50%), the liquid tension of the
reflowed solder balls will pull it back.
     - Save time and money. ( stencil cost, cleaning, and aligning).

If the solder balls on the BGA are made of non-eutectic, solder paste is
required.

Tuan Bui
Conexant Systems Inc.
Prototype Process Dev. Eng.

                    Jeff Ferry
                    <jferry@CIRCUITTE        To:     [log in to unmask]
                    CHCTR.COM>               cc:
                    Sent by: TechNet         Subject:     [TN] BGA Rework
Using Paste vs.
                    <[log in to unmask]>        No Paste

                    01/31/02 08:54 AM
                    Please respond to
                    "TechNet E-Mail
                    Forum."; Please
                    respond to Jeff
                    Ferry

Fellow TechNetters,

We nearly always apply solder paste to the circuit board when we replace
BGA components during rework. Yet, after speaking with a handfull of BGA
equipment companies at APEX, seems like they all recommend using flux only
vs. paste, unless the circuit board is used in a high rel application.

What do ya'all do/recommend for BAG rework? Can you point me to any
studies/reports on the subject?

Thanks,

Jeff Ferry
CEO
Circuit Technology Center, Inc.

To temporarily halt delivery of Technet send e-mail to [log in to unmask]:
SET Technet NOMAIL
E-mail Archives
Please visit IPC web site (http://www.ipc.org/html/forum.htm) for
additional
To temporarily halt delivery of Technet send e-mail to [log in to unmask]:
SET Technet NOMAIL
E-mail Archives
Please visit IPC web site (http://www.ipc.org/html/forum.htm) for
additional

[This e-mail is confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient, please delete it and notify us immediately; you should
not copy or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other
person. Thank you.]