TECHNET Archives

February 2002

Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 08:54:14 -0500
>San Jose 26. Feb.(sda)
>Used computers and other electronic equipment exported as electronic waste from the USA
threaten the human lives and >the environment in China and India according to a study. The
survey has been published by the environmental groups  >Silicon Valley Toxic Coalition and
Basel Action Network last Monday in San Jose. As an example a region in Southern >China has
been mentioned where approx. 100'000 workers together with their families disassemble old
computers and are >exposed to poisonous substances. The electronic waste has already
contaminated the groundwater to such an extend that >drinking water has to be brought to the
site. Large amounts of contaminated waste and plastics are burned and >deposited in farmlands
and irrigation channels. According to the study the US are the only industrialised country
>that does not comply with an international treaty that bans the export of hazardeous waste to
developping countries.

>Maybe we should not only look on the ban of lead in the WEEE but also on the more than
necessary regulations how >electronic waste has to be treated. The sadest thing to me though is
the fact that we need regulations because many >people in industry act irresponsible and
without any common sense if they are not forced legally to care.

     What's really unfortunate is the amount of emotional claptrap that's fostered off
     as science. There is nothing inherently dangerous about electronic waste. What does
     appear to be dangerous, is simple mishandling, and careless disposal.

     Using the faulty logic that the Silly Valley Toxic Coalition apparently uses, if
     people dumped junk cars into their water supply, the auto industry would be responsible
     for generating "toxic waste".

     The real "toxic waste" is the junk science quoted as fact.

     IMHO, of course!
     John