TECHNET Archives

January 2002

From:
Francois Monette <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 10:56:22 -0500
Scott,

All the information you need can be found in the joint IPC/JEDEC standard
J-STD-033 Standard for Handling, Packing, Shipping and Use of
Moisture/Reflow Sensitive Surface Mount Devices. (free download at
www.ipc.org).

By the way the default bake cycle at 40C has been increased from 8 days to
68 days in the latest revision (and from 24 to 48 hours at 125C). There is
still much information out there that is based on the old standard and that
should be updated accordingly.

 Francois Monette
Cogiscan Inc.
50 De Gaspe, Suite A5
Bromont, Quebec, Canada, J2L 2N8
Tel : (450)534-2644
Fax: (450)534-0092
www.cogiscan.com

Hi Scott!

This can be kinda' tricky...3M makes carrier tape that can withstand high
temperatures but also says that the coverr tape should be of a PSA (Pressure
Sensitive Adhesive) type. I have heard of baking tape and reel components
that have a heat-seal type of cover tape, and having the components sealed
in
by the tape so securely that they weren't able to be used in the
feeder...the
cover tape would just keep breaking...

Harris Semiconductor has a *.PDF at:

http://rel.semi.harris.com/docs/rel/tb363_2.pdf

That says to bake moisture sensitive tape and reeled components at 40 C. +5
-0 C. at lower than 5% reletive humidity for at least 192 hours...that's
8-days!

I've never baked tape and reel components, so I can't tell you anything
first
hand. You may want to consider outsourcing this. There are tape and reel
companies that will take them out of their current tape, bake them, and then
re-tape them and seal them inside of a moisture proof vacuum sealed bag with
dessicant inside.

-Steve Gregory-