TECHNET Archives

January 2002

From:
Genny Gibbard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 11:38:05 -0600
In the August 1997 issue of Printed Circuit Design there was a Designer's
Viewpoint column that had a conversion chart for finished trace widths to
standard wire gauges.  It has copper weights of 1/2, 1, and 2oz related to
AWG ratings ranging from #39 down to #10.  For instance, to get the
equivalent of AWG #10 in a 2oz non plated trace, it must be 0.472429" wide,
for a plated trace, 0.344745".  It also gives the resistance/inch for 20, 50
and 75 degrees celcius.
It doesn't give current carrying capability, but you can usually get current
ratings of AWG wires.  Do you have to do 80A all in one trace?  Can you run
some wires in parallel with the trace on the board?