TECHNET Archives

January 2002

From:
Kathy Kuhlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 08:19:28 -0600
I work for a CM with high mix low runs.  We use an AOI right now.  I find that one aspect of AOI that has really reduced labor was the first article process for component id and placement.  We spend a lot of labor for the first board to confirm correct part and alignment from pick and place.  We also do the same process if we use a Final Inspection.  Having the machine to do this is much, much faster which gives a quicker set-up and run approvals.

As far as solder joints I agree the AOI leaves a lot to be desired.  It does good with shorts but insufficient and no solders are dependent on device.  Like a "J" lead or a QFP it just doesn't do well.  But non solders on discretes are pretty good.

As with most equipment made to make our lives easier and less of us needed it has it's limitations but what it can do it does well.

Kathy

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"> <META content="MSHTML 6.00.2712.300" name=GENERATOR></HEAD> <BODY style="MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 10pt MS Sans Serif; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px"> <DIV>I work for a CM with&nbsp;high mix low runs.&nbsp; We use an AOI right now.&nbsp; I find that one aspect of AOI that has really reduced labor was the first article process for component id and placement.&nbsp; We spend a lot of labor for the first board to confirm correct part and alignment from pick and place.&nbsp; We also do the same process if we use a Final Inspection.&nbsp; Having the machine to do this is much, much faster which gives a quicker set-up and run approvals.&nbsp; </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>As far as solder joints I agree the AOI leaves a lot to be desired.&nbsp; It does good with shorts but insufficient and no solders are dependent on device.&nbsp; Like a "J" lead or a QFP it just doesn't do well.&nbsp; But non solders on discretes are pretty good.&nbsp; </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>As with most equipment made to make our lives easier and less of us needed it has it's limitations but what it can do it does well.&nbsp; </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Kathy </DIV></BODY></HTML>