TECHNET Archives

January 2002

From:
Seth Goodman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 05:40:32 -0600
Hi Julian,

You make some very good points and I hope that ODB++, or something very much
like it eventually replaces Gerber.  Your arguments aren't specific to
Valor, so that's not an issue at all.  I'd like to mention a couple of areas
where we view things a little differently.

In comparing the previous transition from film to Gerber to the imminent
transition from Gerber to an intelligent format, the analogy is not as
strong as you imply.  In the transition from film to Gerber, there were
rarely any differences between the two, at least once people learned how to
take care of their photoplotters.  This is not surprising, since the early
photoplotters came from the same company that wrote the standard!  Even so,
the engineering groups I ran during that period only archived one format of
data.  When we changed over from film to Gerber, only the Gerbers were
archived.  We added the additional process step, as did many groups back
then, of approving the film plots from the board vendor.  This was not to
check for improper interpretation of the Gerber data by the photoplotter, it
was to check that the Gerber data represented the native CAD data properly.
For us, these approval films were really check plots that verified the
Gerber generator in the CAD software.  Many board vendors required the
customer to approve the films before fabrication anyway.  If I recall
correctly, it was a number of years before affordable Gerber viewers
appeared.  After using those for a while, the vendors no longer required our
sign-off on films and we were confident enough to not require it either.

The coming transition is a bit more dicey.  We're talking about changing
from a simple, dumb format to a complex hierarchical one.  The complexity of
the software to generate and read this new format is much higher than for
Gerber.  We can therefore expect more software problems than with the
previous transition.  I would like to know what are the tools many designers
currently have, that you mentioned, to compare Gerber and ODB++.  If they're
affordable, I'd like to try them out.  Obviously the fabricators can do this
task but their software costs more than most CAD packages we use to design
the boards, so that is a barrier.

While we could also use high-end CAM software to improve our design quality
by eliminating slivers, acid traps, etc., the situation is the same as I
mentioned before:  the board vendors already do this for us and are not
offering reduced prices if we take on that part of the job.  The end-product
quality is the same, it's just a question of who does the work.  Likewise,
they are not offering improved turnaround times.  They are not even telling
us they are considering such policies.  This is a very tough sell to top
management who want to know how much it will pay back and when.

Remember that when we switched from film to Gerber, many fabrication shops
bought their own photoplotters and quickly reduced or eliminated
photoplotting charges.  The company I worked for at the time was able to
junk our photoplotter and darkroom, reclaim the space they occupied and put
the operator to better use as a PCB layout person.  Similarly, when we
stopped requiring sign-off on films, our turnaround times improved
instantly.  If an investment of time and money today won't lower our board
prices, shorten the turnaround time or improve quality, it would be more
accurate to call it a donation.

I'm still very much in favor of adopting an intelligent data format.  But it
has to be driven by economics.  The return has to be at least in the
foreseeable future.  The fab shops are apparently not yet able to make it
profitable for us to make the change.  Hopefully, that situation will
change.

Regards,

Seth Goodman
Goodman Associates, LLC