TECHNET Archives

January 2002

From:
Mark Steele <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 15:24:31 -0800
Hi Seth,

I have heard this question before and haven't known how
to respond to it. So I have a question for you, if it
could be shown through real data that the board built
from gerber and the board built from ODB are the "same"
(within a certain tolerance) would you be willing to
generate both sets of data and send them out accordingly?

I assume you are comfortable with your system outputting
gerber, it's ODB that has to "prove" it can duplicate the
gerber.

Here's what I have in mind, an experiment. You asked the
question "The problem is how do you insure that both sets
of output data are identical in every way?" Maybe one way
to test that is to test the input and output capabilities
of Genesis/Enterprise.

Let's translate a set of gerber back and forth with ODB a
certain number of times (10?) and see how the result
compares to the "reference data" (first generation gerber).
They would have to pass two tests, 1, a netlist check of
course and 2, a layer by layer feature comparison. The
netlist check is absolute, it has to pass. The features
could not vary more than (1?) percent. The feature
variation test is something we would have to come up with.
Is 1% to small or to large?

Ideally the 10th generation ODB would match the 1st
generation gerber by some agreed upon amount and pass a
netlist compare of course.

I don't know how sound this hare-brained idea is, I thunk
it up driving to work... But I think your question is valid
and has to be answered in some way.

Who would do the testing and presenting of the results?
Would you trust Valor? Frontline? IPC? NEMI? Maybe Valor,
a designer and a fabricator at the very least. Heck, I
volunteer to play if that's what it takes to get more ODB.

Regards,

Mark Steele
CAM Automation Engineer
Toppan Electronics, Inc.
858.695.2222

***stuff deleted*** (I would like to respond to that in another email.)