TECHNET Archives

January 2002

From:
Eric Christison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:44:19 +0000
Doug,

You don't say whether the bend is a permanent, once only bend or a dynamic bend.

If it's a once only then that's dead easy for a mechanical engineer to calculate. Figure out where the
neutral axis is going to be (probably the outside of the coverlay on the inside of the bend) and from
there work out the strain on the copper. Then you have to figure out what the allowable strain is. For
rolled annealed (you'll have to ask the manufacturer) my unreliable memory tells me 10% is a
conservative figure.

If the flex is undergoing dynamic bending then the problem is one of fatigue. So in this case bend
radius (= stress) and number of cycles are both important. Generally it's regarded as a bad idea to
subject multilayer flexes to dynamic bending. For a single layer a rule of thumb is minimum bend radius
> 20 X thickness.

There are also a number of good design guides on the web whose addresses alas, I have also forgotten.
However you could start by looking for a flex manufacturer called Rogers I vaguely remember they had
some good stuff.

Hope this helps,

--
Eric Christison