TECHNET Archives

January 2002

From:
Seth Goodman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 20:27:54 -0600
Hi Mark,

From the design engineer's perspective, supporting two different formats
does create a problem.  When you release a design to production, it is not
supposed to be specific to one particular vendor (unless you have a captive
fab shop and NEVER go outside).  Unfortunately, not all fab shops support
ODB++.  If purchasing would be willing to limit themselves to fab shops that
supported ODB++, that would be fine, but since that limits their options it
is unlikely.  So in order to be universal, we would have to generate both
ODB++ and Gerber.  This is easy to do but can create subtle problems that
could take lots of time and money to run down.  The problem is how do you
insure that both sets of output data are identical in every way?  While some
programs allow you to import both data sets and compare, as a practical
matter, assuring that they are identical is not possible.  Since there will
undoubtedly be subtle differences between the two, which one controls?
Don't we also have to verify and validate both versions by building up both
assemblies?  And when problems inevitably arise between boards from two
different vendors using different data files, who 'ya gonna call?  Those
dumb design engineers who created the problem, of course.

I don't doubt for an instant that ODB++ saves fabricators time and money.
Do we as customers get a significant discount for making the fabricators job
easier with this superior data format?  I've asked several fabricators and
no one has agreed yet.  This is the part I don't get.  Since it will
increase the cost of design to support dual formats for every job, we'd be
irresponsible to do this without concomitant savings.  If you really want to
make any of the competing Gerber replacements widely accepted, get a
significant number of fabricators to offer a discount for designs submitted
in that format.  Things will take care of themselves very quickly after
that.  Purchasing agents will be after designers to provide the new format,
designers will be after EDA vendors to generate the new format and
fabricators who don't support it will be forced to do so rapidly.  But
please, just pick one.  We don't need to experience the VHS vs. Beta
scenario again.

I would strongly recommend a format that is under the control of an industry
standards-making body rather than a single vendor to discourage
Microsoft-style abuse of competitors, but that is a separate issue.  It's
clear that Gerber should be replaced with something smarter that saves us
ALL money, which would be a real win-win situation.  But until it saves
money for the fabricators' customers, we'll all be stuck with Gerber and we
all lose.

Regards,

Seth Goodman
Goodman Associates, LLC