TECHNET Archives

January 2002

From:
Dougal Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dougal Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 09:19:51 -0000
Well it's a strange thing how what goes around, comes around. Electroplated
tin lead was (and still is in some companies) the subsequent process step to
electroplate copper, and acts as the etch resist through ammoniacal etchant.
Before the days of HASL, this was then reflowed, and the surface finish of
fused tin lead was commonplace, so much so that all the accelerated ageing
tests were based on fused tin lead finish. With HASL, OSP, ENIG, Immersion
Tin, Immersion Silver finishes, the electroplated tin lead is stripped after
etch, hence the term soldermask over bare copper, and then the final finish
applied.
In my past, we converted a board finish from HASL to reflowed tin lead (but
3-5um, not 8-12um), so that the customer had a perfectly flat finish for
assembling RF cans, and it improved their first pass yield from 86% to 98%.
Unfortunately for the competition, they had thrown out their IR reflow, and
converted the tin lead baths to tin, so couldn't offer the finish !
Concerns over intermetallic growth prior to assembly were proven to be
unjustified, probably due to the short time between manufacture and
assembly - JIT works in some companies - and the commercial advantage was
significant as it reduced process steps, and increased assembly yield.
Dougal Stewart

email:  [log in to unmask]
phone: +44 1896 822204
mob:    +44 7984 629667