TECHNET Archives

January 2002

From:
Kathy Kuhlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 08:49:32 -0600
I would first start with some in-process sampling so you can pinpoint what types of defects the process is currently producing.  Do you see more missing components from surface mount or do you have a problem withe solder shorts on the solder side because of wave issues or snapping problems.   All to many organizations use a final inspection as a safety net.  In my dream world I would have no one doing final inspection but bring it back to the process and do the inspection at the process through auditing by both production and quality personnel so immediate feedback can be accomplished.  Otherwise you get data that is out of date and you can't really take effective corrective actions, especially if your world is as a CM or small run lots.

If you must do a final inspection then we typically start with a complete part verification (value, polarity, AVL check) than solder (quality, quantity, lead placement) and finally any specific customer instructions(labeling, rev add, etc).

Kathy

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" http-equiv=Content-Type> <META content="MSHTML 5.00.2919.6307" name=GENERATOR></HEAD> <BODY style="FONT: 10pt Abadi MT Condensed Light; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px; MARGIN-TOP: 2px"> <DIV>I would first start with some in-process sampling so you can pinpoint what types of defects the process is currently producing.&nbsp; Do you see more missing components from surface mount or do you have a problem withe solder shorts on the solder side because of wave issues or snapping problems.&nbsp;&nbsp; All to many organizations use a final inspection as a safety net.&nbsp; In my dream world I would have no one doing final inspection but bring it back to the process and do the inspection at the process through auditing by both production and quality personnel so immediate feedback can be accomplished.&nbsp; Otherwise you get data that is out of date and you can't really take effective corrective actions, especially if your world is as a CM or small run lots.&nbsp; </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>If you must do a final inspection then we typically start with a complete part verification (value, polarity, AVL check) than solder (quality, quantity, lead placement) and finally any specific customer instructions(labeling, rev add, etc).&nbsp; </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Kathy </DIV></BODY></HTML>