TECHNET Archives

January 2002

From:
John Maxwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 14:33:42 -0400
Actually most aluminium corrosion on IC die is due to excessive phosphorus
in the glass passivation/getter layer that protects surface metallization
from damage. Chlorine has a nasty habit of being mobile and causing
threshold voltage shift on individual transistors on the chip typically
causing long term reliability problems. All very ugly.

John Maxwell