TECHNET Archives

January 2002

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 09:31:46 +0200
Paul

There are two questions to consider here:
1. the quality of the components (it is not unknown for unsealed
components to be supplied, in place of sealed ones -- with all due
respect, purchasing guys are often unaware of the difference and they
see that there are physically identical units available at 5 cents less,
each. This is a constant problem with pots and, if the supplier
guarantees that they are designed to withstand cleaning, then it must be
taken up with him. If he doesn't, then change the supplier.)
2. the cleaning process (it is useful to know that it is better to have
each stage about 5°C hotter than the previous one, to create an
environment where the air in the component expands throughout the
process. It has been found that a very small drop in temperature can
sometimes contract the air sufficiently that water is drawn in, past the
O-ring. Also, make sure that wash chemicals, such as saponifiers, are
compatible with the O-ring material.)

Brian