TECHNET Archives

January 2002

From:
Werner Engelmaier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 17:22:32 EST
Hi 'sdu,'
In a message dated 01/15/2002 13:38:05, [log in to unmask] writes:
<< Can someone/anyone please send me or direct me to a study that concluded

that removing "a land that is not connected electrically to the conductive

pattern on its layer" decreased reliability in any way?  How about a study

that concluded a maintained or increased reliability by keeping or adding

non-functional pads?  ...I cannot find anything in the IPC specifications

discouraging the removal of non-functional pads. >>
I guess you have not been looking very hard. IPC-D-279 refers to IPC-TR-579
where it was found that "functional and nonfunctional lands appear to improve
reliability". IPC-TR-579 concentrated on barrel cracking and thus on
small-diameter holes; the most benefit from nonfunctional lands comes in the
prevention of innerlayer separation [ILS--formerly know as post-separation],
which of course plagues larger diameter holes more than small-diameter holes
[see IPC-TR-486].
<< From practical fabrication experience, removing a non-functional pad does

provide benefits:

1) It is easier to drill through less copper, causing less wear on the bit,

thereby increasing the potential quality of the hole.

2) Most importantly, removing the pads does not change connectivity but does

reduce/eliminate a real potential to short to adjacent connections.>>
A: both true

<< Other effects:

2) For some non-plated holes, if the pads are left on and it is drilled

after etch, the land/pad may be ripped off of the surface if there is not

enough ring to anchor the pad.  This only happens on the outer layers.>>
A: why would anybody have lands of any kind in non-plated holes?

<< 3) For some applications, a land may be used to anchor the hole connection

to the material (PTFE, flex)>>
A: That is the main effect in MLBs as well--it prevents ILS as well as
hole-wall separation.

<< 4) Are there other effects?  Thermal, impedance, pth reliability? >>
A: It prevents ILS as well as hole-wall separation, and to a lesser degree
replaces resin with copper thereby reducing the z-direction thermal expansion
mismatch [a small effect]

Werner Engelmaier
Engelmaier Associates, L.C.
Electronic Packaging, Interconnection and Reliability Consulting
7 Jasmine Run
Ormond Beach, FL  32174  USA
Phone: 904-437-8747, Fax: 904-437-8737
E-mail: [log in to unmask], Website: www.engelmaier.com