TECHNET Archives

January 2002

From:
"d. terstegge" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 16:39:09 +0100
Hi Jim,

In my mailbox Iarchived an earlier posting from Glenn Woodhouse that contained some very usefull information about the subject of AOI. I hope that Glenn doesn't mind that I repost his input here:

Daan Terstegge
Unclassified mail

> For the evaluation and selection of an AOI system there are a few key
> points
> that I suggest you focus on.
>
> 1.  Solder Joint Inspection - Most AOI suppliers claim solder joint
> inspection capability but this is really one of the differentiating
> points.
> You need to decide how badly you want good solder joint inspection
> capability.  Truly capable systems are more complex mechanically as well
> as
> in their programming thus requiring a higher level of expertise, as well
> as
> investment in time, for program development and optimization.  For low
> volume-high mix and prototyping environments, it often takes more time to
> develop robust solder joint inspection that it takes to build and ship the
> product!  Solder joint inspection will increase the false call rate of any
> system.  Finally, it is important to remember that video based AOI systems
> can only operate in a line of sight fashion.  Packages like SOJ's, PLCC's,
> and BGA's will not support solder joint inspection.  There are x-ray
> "combi"
> machines available as well but you have to weigh the cost and throughput
> implications of a combi.  If you make the required commitment in capital
> expenditure and engineering support, solder joint inspection can yield
> very
> good results and help to take your process to the next level.  If you
> don't
> provide the appropriate level of commitment in support resources, then the
> investment in solder joint inspection capability will be a waste and cause
> frustration and confusion on the line until you ultimately turn off that
> portion of the inspection.  Look for systems that use convergent software
> technology where the s/w keeps track of false calls and the conditions
> surrounding them as a means to automatically and statistically refine
> inspection algorithms as a means to reduce false calls.
>
> 2.  Production Environment - As eluded to above, it is my opinion that the
> state of the AOI industry today does not provide a single machine that
> "does
> it all".  If you are running in a high mix/low volume/high change
> environment then machine speed/throughput is less important than ease in
> program development.  In this environment if you can't get a program
> cranked
> out and reasonably optimized in 2 hours or less you will spend all of your
> time programming and very little time running the machine in production.
> Look for off-line programming capabilities as a means to help free the
> machine up a bit more, but you still always need machine time for initial
> image capture and final debug.
>
> 3.  Vector Based versus Pattern Recognition -
>
>      Vector based machines will find the edges of packages and leads,
> [...]

I'm looking for a low end ($65k) optical inspection system for SMT component
placement and polarity inspection.  Anyone have any recommendations?
Thanks,
Jim Marsico
Senior Engineer
Production Engineering