TECHNET Archives

January 2002

From:
Guy Ramsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 09:54:05 -0500
Here's a link with some information
http://www.pcfab.com/db_area/archive/2000/0010/dfe.html
and another
http://www.smta.org/knowledge/proceedings_abstract.cfm?PROCEEDING_ID=571

In a nutshell, IMHO, Nothing solders or protects like HASL but, it may not
provide a level enough finish for some applications.

All immersion tins are not equal and they do not protect the copper as well
as HASL. But they do provide a level surface on which to place components.

As for Nickel Gold, you are not soldering to copper but nickel. The finish
is flat but the solder process may not exhibit the same wetting as with a
good HASL, OSP, SN or Ag finish. There are many discussions of Black Pad in
the technet archives.

Immersion silver is well liked and seems to provide good process results.
May not be as robust as HASL.

OSP works good but, the first time you find out if you can plate to the
copper on the board is when you try to solder to it. That can be a little
late.

This is far from "all advantages and disadvantages" but such a reply would
require one to follow MoonMan's steps to a cave.