TECHNET Archives

January 2002

From:
"<Peter George Duncan>" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 09:34:27 +0800
Hi, Mel,

I wish I had some good pictures I could send you, and X-rays, but on two
counts, that's not quite possible yet - 1) we actually don't have a handy
digital camera for such work, though I'm aiming to get one and 2) the X-ray
facilities out here in Singapore are well less than wonderful. I could try
a hospital set-up, but they're fully booked. To get any half way decent
magnification on our images, the machine our test lab has suffers from a
wide angle effect - i.e. the straight lines of balls have developed a
distinct curvature at the outer edges. If it were a straight picture, the
results could be interpreted as incorrect land pattern size, as I get
increasingly oval features on the X-rays, radiating out from the centre to
the edges and corners, but I know the BGA's are OK.

If you're putting BGA's into 610D, maybe you can include underfilling as
well. Anyone know of anyone in Singapore with an ultrasonic inspection
machine for checking underfill, by the way? So far, as long as the board
has had a good clean and the underfill comes out the other sides, I have to
accept that the fill underneath is OK, as I haven't found anywhere to check
it out.

I haven't found an official spec yet either that covers requirements for
underfilling BGA's, especially on class 3 military boards - only learned
papers on what the material does, how it works and how it can be inspected.
Does anyone know of one? Are there any added problems if underfill is
incomplete, for example, or is there just reduced effectiveness if there
are voids around any of the balls or elsewhere in the fill?

Another topic for 610D could be more on MSD's and the effects/inspection
methodology/acceptability of moisture-laden components having been mounted
onto boards - warping, delaminating, etc.

610D could become substantially fatter than its earlier versions!

Peter

                    Mel Parrish
                    <mparrish@SOLDERIN        To:     [log in to unmask]
                    GTECH.COM>                cc:     (bcc: DUNCAN Peter/Asst Prin Engr/ST
                    Sent by: TechNet          Aero/ST Group)
                    <[log in to unmask]>         Subject:     Re: [TN] Lead Length/Protrusion

                    01/11/02 12:06 AM
                    Please respond to
                    "TechNet E-Mail
                    Forum."

Thanks Peter,
Wish you could have been there for the last revision.  There was a
concerted
effort to block inclusion of BGA criteria in the last release. Hopefully we
can do better this time around.  Any pictures you can spare would be
appreciated.  We have added a new XRay capability and should be able to
support that development also.
What about Flip Chip content from the assembly acceptability viewpoint?
Also with the advent of newer technology applications, wire bond criteria?

Mel Parrish