TECHNET Archives

January 2002

From:
"Brooks,Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 16:35:57 -0800
Hi Joe and Jack,

You peaked my interest enough to make a comment and ask a question...
I have been hearing rumblings in the industry about lead free soldering for
awhile now... and I understand that there are some obstacles to the process
that are undesirable at best. Pure tin welds for component mounting are more
than likely more brittle compared to tin/lead alloy welds. And the tin/lead
alloy melts at a much lower temp than tin by itself... This means exposing
the components to much higher temperatures in order to solder. Extreme temp
exposure is probably undesirable for a lot of reasons structurally and
electrically...
Is the only benefit environmental? Are we just trying to formulate 'lead
free' to avoid using lead because of its poisonous nature or is there some
other benefit from the process that escapes me? Gold uses cyanide in its
process.... should we be gold free too?

Bill Brooks
PCB Design Engineer , C.I.D.
DATRON WORLD COMMUNICATIONS, INC
3030 Enterprise Court
Vista, CA 92083
Tel: (760)597-1500 Ext 3772 Fax: (760)597-1510
mailto:[log in to unmask]
IPC Designers Council, San Diego Chapter
http://www.ipc.org/SanDiego/
http://home.fda.net/bbrooks/pca/pca.htm