TECHNET Archives

January 2002

From:
"McCabe, Chris" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 20:35:44 -0500
        Is there an industry standard for numbering, and identifying boards
on a panel? At Bose, we are installing updated data collection systems in
our electronics manufacturing process and have noticed that CAD designers,
test engineers and operators may designate boards differently on a panel. We
also have had designers makes boards "reversible" on a line so that  you
have to be careful of board orientation on the conveyor when using automated
test equipment.
Unless there is an industry standard, we will be requiring a process flow
arrow on the panel which will be lined up with the fixed rail of our
conveyors and help operators to keep the orientation on the conveyor the
same. We will then visually identify the board number on the panel in the
silk-screen as a number enclosed in a circle. The board numbering scheme
would be from left to right, if there were only one row of boards on a panel
and left to right - bottom (closest to the operator) to top on panels with
multiple rows of boards.
I would appreciate any feedback from the group if a standard exists, and if
not, what practices they employ to accomplish this task. Thanks.

Regards,

Chris McCabe
Corporate Quality
Bose Corporation