TECHNET Archives

January 2002

From:
Matthias Mansfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 14:14:46 +0100
Brian Ellis wrote
[... story with dead mice shortened]
> Fed up, I decided to have a look at them myself. On taking one of them
> apart, I found the cable went from a plug on the PCB up the side and
> around the top edge and, on reaching the centre, made a sharp 90° turn
> to come out. There is no strain relief of any sort at this point.

been there often. Same story with many different mice from great brands and
noname. My latest noname (=OEM Logitech) mouse however is fine - good strain
relief and cable sleeve.

May I contribute another mouse story? Repeated cable repairs were once (few
years ago) the reason for a bunch of additional work to keep my PCs running :-(
no blood nor tears but much sweat ;-)

I had a standard PS2 2-buttons noname mouse and I had to repair the cable rather
often. Once, it was broken again but too short to repair it one more time. Thus I
decided to dig out my old noname 3-button serial mouse. Installed it, tried to locate
the correct mouse driver (W95 navigation without mouse!!!!) probably too often
said "yes" "driver not found" "ignore", system rebooted, system hung. Tried to
reboot in safe mode for restoring a standard mose driver, but hey, navigating
without mouse on a VGA "block graphic" resolution on a dektop optimized for
1600x1200 screen is a bit boring, if not impossible. ....decided to restore the
system partition backup from the evening before. Did it, rebooted, but hey what's
this? the desktop was in 1600x1200 rather garbled. Then I started to think, had to
understand that new scrambled settings mixed with an old backup are at least
strange. Took some cups of coffee, breathed deeply and formatted the system
partition. Then started (the first time ever) the disaster recovery feature from my
backup SW and let it restore the entire system partition. Thanks to God it ran
well........ praised Him and my good old Cheyenne Backup for W95.

Regards
Matthias Mansfeld