TECHNET Archives

January 2002

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 17:14:57 +0200
Rudy

I'd change to Linux like a shot ... if only I could get it to work :-(

Seriously, the problem there is the paucity of drivers and software. OK
for nerds who know how to programme these and have the time to fart
around. There is, for example, very little choice available in the CAD
field. There is Vutrax available as a professional system for
electronics CAD with a decent router, but not much else that I know of,
other than some home systems. There isn't even a manufacturer's driver
for any of my 3 printers or scanner or digicam or DV camcorder or a
decent video editing package. Life is so sad.

Actually DOS 6.2 was a good OS once you came to terms with it. It's
these bloody bloatware Windows thingummies that cause us all the trash.
The trouble is that the market was driven by the public who were unable
to click onto a DOS menu item but had to have a pretty screen.

Brian