TECHNET Archives

January 2002

From:
Earl Moon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 09:04:13 -0600
Don't ever mind waiting a bit for a better thing. Microsuck isn't getting
that way. What's more, the folks who were duped into giving up some fairly
good ideas that would have given MS some competition, were as much to blame.
I'm talking about the original DOS guys, Xerox (giving Apple GUI), and the
Digital Who? folks who sold out as well. All this in the name of greed.

I'm talking quality here. Quality is pure and simple when processes are
properly managed - starting withi top management. It doesn't matter if it's
a solder joint or software.

I don't understand why people don't understand they will make more money,
while enduring longer and making more customers happy, by doing it right
withougt regard to returns and lousy customer service. I can give, as you
all can, many more examples of this mentality.

I have a friend who has a brother who is about to go belly up, in the
electronics business, because of poor quality. Poor bastard now thinks ISO
will get more customers. He doesn't give a damn about quality - only getting
more customers to get more money. ISO, in this case and so many others, my ass.

My concern, now that the MS monopoly hasn't suffered, is why we continue
supporting poor quality anything let alone something as important as an OS.
The monopoly cannot be broken or we would all suffer more than can be
imagined. However, I'm waiting for something beyond Linux to enter a race
that really never started.

Rudy, I like that pointy thing analogy. I just wonder which tip should be
pointed down or up, for that matter.

Quality is what I'm talking about be it through evolution, taking as long as
required. Again, without management dedication to it, IT AIN'T GOING TO
HAPPEN. and we're all stupid for paying for poor quality anything. I'm one
of the worst offenders - realizing this as I write this stuff.

MoonMan