TECHNET Archives

December 2001

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 09:29:06 +0200
All these worm-type viruses rely on Microsoft products to propagate
themselves. Similarly, all the macrovirus types also. Obviously, there
are other makes of e-mail clients, also free, and office suites, cheaper
and more technically advanced than the MS offerings, available and
immune. It is for this reason that I use only Netscape products for web
and e-mail use, complemented with on-line virus detection from Norton.
For word processing and spreadsheet use, my preference is the Corel
Office Suite (WordPerfect) which is more powerful and easier to use than
Word/Excel, although I do have the latter to maintain compatibility with
incoming documents. For those who want the nec plus ultra, although it
is trickier to use, Star Office from Sun is free to download and about
10 bucks to get a CD-ROM and combines, in a single software (not
separate ones in a suite for browsing, e-mail, word processing,
spreadsheet etc., like the other ones) and it does everything, but
everything, in that single proggy. It is also cross-platform and works
under Windows, Solaris, Linux, BeOS, Mac etc.

I receive c. 100 pre-filtered e-mails per day, on an average, many with
attachments. Touch wood, I have not had any virus problems with this
technique, for years, although I did receive one Norton warning on one
occasion, when I tried to open an e-mail attachment. Naturally, I never
open attachments that I have not asked for or know nothing about. With
reasonable care, viruses need not be a great problem, provided one
steers clear of Outlook and Outlook Express. If you run either of these,
then there is every chance that, sooner or later, you will do all the
persons in your address book a great disservice, albeit unwittingly.

Brian