TECHNET Archives

December 2001

From:
Guy Ramsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 08:08:01 -0500
In a former position, we had a machine for trimming leads. It had a
horizontal blade, high speed saw.

We had to use it on one type board for a customer that wanted very short
lead protrusion.(RF stuff)

The blade had to be very sharp. Setup errors could easily destroy a board.
Bow and Twist issues could easily destroy a board. Our system was manual, X
and Y plane. Move too fast or too slow and you got flags, and metal chips.
The vacuum (ESD?!) could not clean up every thing. So, the station quickly
became a mess of little tiny metal pieces. It was a nightmare to control the
process. DON'T GO THERE IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO. Do not even think of it if you
have a no-clean process.