TECHNET Archives

December 2001

From:
David Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 22:08:19 -0800
You're correct that's a tough job.

If this phase of evaluating pastes, our test is a relative comparison of how
well pastes wet.  It is not a measure of how well a component pad will wet
in production.

In the test:
* Clean (i.e., chemically or with abrasion) the tarnish from a sheet of bare
copper laminate.
* Print the paste on the laminate, using a stencil used in evaluating
pastes.  [Check with Phil Zarro for a recommendation.]
* Reflow solder the laminate using the paste manufacturer's recommended
profile.
* Clean the laminate with isopropyl alcohol.
* Inspect the solder fillet at X10 magnification.

Dave Fish