TECHNET Archives

December 2001

From:
Bev Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 12:18:04 -0500
Jennifer,
It all depends... our favourite answer.

There are hundreds of sodium silicates but lets keep it to the families that
are the most likely - short chain, long chain and zeolites (which are sodium
aluminosilicates).  The first are soluble and the last will exchange sodium
ions for higher charged ions.  This would be bad news.  If we are talking
about drying packets (silica gel) then my concern would be were they
properly washed to remove all soluble silicates before the particles were
dried to be activated to absorb moisture.

regards,
Bev Christian
Research in Motion