TECHNET Archives

December 2001

From:
"<Rudy Sedlak>" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 18:21:38 EST
Immersion Silver plating is a not real easy process to work with, and if you
look at the fact that immersion plating in general gives VERY light finishes,
from as low as 3 microinches, to a maximum of 40 or so, with Tin, we have to
understand this is not an easy process to manipulate.

Generally increasing plating temperature tends to increase immersion plating
thickness, however, the Silver plating baths can be a little sensitive to
temperature increase, and be rendered unstable, and thus short lived.  So,
this can result in expensive problems.

My guess is that with most current technology, 15 microinches is about as
much as any of us will see.

Further, it is not clear that increasing thickness is going to buy much in
terms of increased solderability shelf life.

WARNING---This advice may be worth less than what you paid for it...

Rudy Sedlak
RD Chemical Company