TECHNET Archives

December 2001

From:
Richard Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 12:34:09 -0800
Genny,

In your posting you said: "Thoughts?"

Mine - Ouch! A few variables come to mind here and one of them is the power
of the transmitters. Layout of the test stations and building construction
are others. Unless you get a real RF shield between them which will absorb
ALL the interference from ANY angel (bouncing etc.) you are in for a big
deal, even if you go to Home Depot. Then there are listing/product agencies
that may have test criteria to deal with.

I have not dealt with this type of an issue as a ME but having been a Ham
Radio operator for more years than I care to think about you could be in
for fun. First off I would suggest you ask around and see if you have a Ham
Radio operator around that can give you some help. Not too many Hams are in
the GHZ operations but I can tell you that a frequency that high (as
opposed to Hz or Mhz) can be really tricky in its bouncing effects and the
more power the trickier it becomes.

My 2cents: Test one unit at a time, or, get a consultant. Yea, it is money
either way but if you don't have a good handle on what you are 'playing'
with, it will come around to bite you when you really don't want it to! (As
if you ever did!?)

Good luck on the project.

Richard

P.S. Change?