TECHNET Archives

December 2001

From:
Bev Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 12:36:12 -0500
Eric,
I am still hunting for good net sites for your first request.

With regards to the latter:
No, bismuth is not more toxic.  Bismuth oxychloride is used in the cosmetics
industry and other bismuth salts (I forget which one(s)) are used in
PeptoBismol® (Did I spell that right?)  No bismuth compounds are listed in
the 1990 "NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards" I have and only bismuth
telluride is listed in the ACGIH TLV Booklet - because of the tellurium.
Toxicity does come into play in its mining, though, as 10 to 40% (depends on
who you talk to and/or whether you are talking world-wide or country
specific) comes as a by-product of lead mining.

regards,
Bev Christian
Research in Motion