TECHNET Archives

December 2001

Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 08:00:52 -0600
We are changing the post-reflow washing window from 1
hour to 5 hours.  However, in order to do it, we have
to provide proof to our customer.  One of the
requirement is the SIR.

Could you please show me what tool do I need and where
to buy to do the SIR test.  What is the most
popular/approriate procedure to do it?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

*Stacy,
Which SIR test you do depends on a couple of factors.  If you have
contracts for MIL-STD-2000A or J-STD-001, that will limit some of your
choices.  Even if you have MIL-STD-2000 contracts, you are only changing
the cleaning time, not the flux, so you would not HAVE to do Appendix A
testing.

If your customer requires you to do SIR testing, they should tell you by
what method, e.g. IPC-TM-650, method 2.6.3.3, and by what specification or
criteria, e.g. J-STD-001, Appendix B.

If you have some more lattitude in how you demonstrate that the longer
cleaning time is OK, then SIR may not be the best testing to do.
Environmental stress screening on actual hardware may be a better test than
SIR to demonstrate that the longer cleaning time does not hurt the
hardware.  What fluxes and pastes are you using and what cleaning regimens.

While Graham Naisbitt would be happy to sell you an AutoSIR for your
testing (and a fine piece of hardware it is), to setup for SIR testing (and
do it RIGHT) is very capital intensive, on the order of $75,000 or more.
It sounds like you have a minimal need for SIR testing and you should go
with one of the commercial labs that provide this service for a reasonable
fee.

If you want to talk about this in greater depth off-line, give me a call at
319-295-2109.

Doug Pauls
Rockwell Collins
IPC SIR Task Group - Emeritus