LEADFREE Archives

December 2001

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Karl Sauter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karl Sauter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 08:38:23 -0800
Brian,

May be this discussion should move off-line ?

You mention that the Kyoto Protocol is largely flawed, but better than nothing.
This seems to be a judgement call.

It is not unusual for bureaucracies to produce "cures" that are worse than the
problem they are trying to fix.  I would hope that efforts to develop similar
protocols would continue, and that a better plan would result.  Perhaps one
based less on rationing and more favorable to countries with low GWP/GNP.

Karl

> [...]
> when winter gales are blowing). I'm not saying that they are useless,
> but they cannot be relied upon as a constant, economic source. Even the
> most constant source, tidal energy, works for only about 15-18 h/day, at
> the whim of the moon. A combined recycling/composting/garbage
> incineration is small fry. In Switzerland, 277 MW generation capacity is
> available in such an ambitious programme, but represents a very small
> fraction of total power requirements. Hydroelectricity is too dangerous
> and polluting (on an average, there have been over 2,000 deaths per year
> from worldwide HE dam failure. The Three Gorges Dam, when it has filled,
> will put in danger over 2 million persons in a city just 20 km
> downstream - plus countless others - in a geologically unstable region.
> Also, it will be the world's largest producer of methane resulting from
> the gigatonnes of vegetation submerged over its 600 km retention lake
> length to a depth of 180 m and the anaerobic decomposition of the raw
> sewage from China's largest city of 27 m population). I've always said
> that I'd rather live next to a good nuke reactor than downstream from a
> major dam :-)
>
> While we are about it, I'd like to debunk trees as a fossil carbon sink.
> It is true that growing trees will photosynthesise some of the available
> CO2 and fix their carbon into the wood, as well as the leaves (from
> which it is released again in 1 - 2 years for deciduous and 5 years for
> coniferous trees). The average life of forest trees is about 30 - 50
> years. What happens then? The tree is cut or falls. Paper may be made
> from it and this will mostly be incinerated or will rot in landfills,
> sooner or later. The wood may be used as fuel or for construction, but
> sooner or later it will revert to carbon dioxide. Worse, attack of
> fallen trunks or trimmings within the forest by fungi and coleoptera
> will transform it into methane. In other words, your "sunk" carbon, no
> matter what, will be in the atmosphere again within a few decades. This
> is not deleting your fossil carbon from the face of the earth: it is
> simply delaying its effect 20, 50 or 100 years. This, along with
> "trading CO2 emissions", is the weakest part of the Kyoto Protocol.
>
> What the Kyoto Protocol guys need is a hammer to yield. The Montreal
> Protocol has a clause that forbids the importation of products
> containing, using, being transported or made with the help of
> ozone-depleting substances, into signatory countries from
> non-signatories. A similar clause in the Kyoto Protocol would be the
> ideal method of bringing large users to heel, as it would stop exports
> from large consumers!
>
> I agree with President Bush that it is largely flawed, but it's a darn
> sight better than nothing.
>
> Brian

> To temporarily stop delivery of Leadree for vacation breaks send: SET Leadfree
NOMAIL
E-mail Archives