TECHNET Archives

November 2001

From:
Russell Burdick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 19:24:21 -0700
I've seen what I think is a similar problem. I'll describe it and how I
cured it and see if it will help you.

Problem: 50% of surface pads wetted on ENIG surfaces at customer location.

Research: LPI coated panels were ENIG plated. Found peeling LPI and panels
were stripped in an alkaline solution and then LPI reapplied. Suspected that
the alkaline stripping solution or the LPI developer solution (potassium
carbonate ?) had somehow remained on the immersion gold surface.

Cure: After panels are recoated with LPI they must be processed in a hot
alkaline cleaner(cleaner on our black oxide process)then rinsed well and
100% wetting was restored.

Theory: Alkaline contamination was not rinsed from either the stripper or
the developer and ruined the gold surface for solderability. On the chemical
principal that likes-dissolve-likes the hot alkaline cleaner removed this
contaminant and with proper rinsing no residueS remained.

I hope this is helpful.

Russ Burdick