TECHNET Archives

November 2001

From:
DUTTON Phil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 10:29:31 +1100
Hello Daan,

This sounds like a connection to mains supply. In which case there are
safety compliance issues that must be addressed. I've just been designing
some power supply boards with 240V AC input voltages (our mains voltage in
Australia)We have a compliance engineer in our company who makes sure that
we do the right thing with respect to safety compliance and EMC. The
Comparative Tracking Index of the board material and the environment it is
used in comes into play. This can become a complex issue. Our Australian
Standard AS3260 is closely based on IEC-950, which would be a good place to
start looking. (As an example, our spacing for 240V AC is at least 2.5mm.)

regards,

Phil.