TECHNET Archives

November 2001

From:
"Goldman, Patricia J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 08:26:09 -0500
Steve,
I agree with both George and Edward.
The best clue (even before looking at the pictures) was your statement that the smaller size hole was affected.  Smaller holes are more difficult to drill smoothly, shall we say.  When looking at the rows of holes, note that the roughness defect looks nearly identical in each hole.  Regarding ENIG, it is a pretty thin coating - too thin to add significantly to topography.  Any defect from it would more likely show up as poor coverage or as a salting-out (sanding?) type of defect.  A gas bubble defect normally shows up as a perfect ring somewhere in the hole barrel and usually would prevent plating coverage in that area.

Patty
Patricia J. Goldman
PPG Industries, Inc.
724-274-3417