TECHNET Archives

November 2001

From:
"McGlaughlin, Jeffrey A" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 13:24:51 -0500
Earl -

I agree that many shops do not do well with the more exotic laminates, but
we can not let that determine our choices.  BT epoxy is better than FR4 in
some ways but it is still not up to performance standards needed to play in
the 1GHz *clock* range which necessitates a sub .5 nanosecond rise time for
signals. The loss tangent is the limiting factor for BT, with a range of
0.015-0.022 it is still to high for these designs. PPO's lower this
somewhat, 0.01-0.015, and are "flatter" in the Er curve with regard to
frequency. Cynate Ester maybe an answer to the problems, but when it comes
to cost vs. functionality the hands down winner is the ceramic-filled, glass
reinforced thermoset plastics (Rogers 4003/4350 and the like).  Hopefully
the commercial fabricators will catch up with the prototype houses in
delivering quality product in the more "bleeding" edge materials.

None of this is meant to say that FR4 can not be used in
high-speed/high-frequency design just that it is easier to get the
performance from other products. I have seen/heard of/worked on designs in
the 2+ GHz range on multilayer FR4 laminates. These can/do work but design
becomes super-critical, and it is not a simple place and autoroute routine.
Not all designer or engineers understand the parameters and attention to
detail required to make it work.

Jeffrey
4-7582