TECHNET Archives

November 2001

From:
Earl Moon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 06:18:27 -0600
Peter and other folks,

This board sounds just like Ervin's. He first posted at #59 on the subject.
Lot of this stuff going round these days. He posted something very important
to us all to consider just as has Peter. Interesting!

A question for all, based on the above, concerning a neat, according to me,
article written on the subject of virtual plating. It appeared in last
month's issue of Circuit Tree. It was in one of those special sections of
the mag.

Has anyone read the virtual plating article? If so, what do you think?

It speaks to issues concerning the ability to "plate" a board with data
contained in Gerber or ODB++, using a software package rendering images on
screen. The images, essentially, represent areas on a boards surface where
high or low plating thicknesses would be processed in the real tanks. It
allows, again in my terms, a shop to make "masks" that are placed over the
board's surface before being processed. The "masks" prevent over or under
plating to ensure specified consistency in all holes and across surfaces.

I would appreciate knowing if anyone has read this exciting prospect.
Moreover, I sure would like to know if anyone has taken the step converting
the virtual process into reality.

Earl Moon