TECHNET Archives

November 2001

From:
"d. terstegge" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 09:58:45 +0100
Just looking into the IPC-SM-782 for landpatterns:   The value of "G", which is the distance between the two pads, is 0.6 mm for 0603's but alos for 0805 components.  So if you're using IPC-dimensioned footprints, the 0603 should be just as easy to glue as 0805's (or the other way around).
On real boards I see quite a lot of variation in the pad-to-pad distance, and the optimization of this value is one of the keys to succesfull glue dispensing for 0603 parts. From what I see, most designers don't care whether a board will be waved of double-reflowed, and they're using the same pads for both technologies. So if I advise a designer to have the pads close together to prevent from tombstoning during reflow, I'll have a problem later on if I have to wave-solder these same components because there's not enough space for a consistent glue dot.

Daan Terstegge
SMT Centre
Thales Communications
Unclassified mail
Personal Website: http://www.smtinfo.net

>>> Jim Gleason <[log in to unmask]> 11/14 8:01 pm >>>
RE: [TN] 0603 Components.Most of the 603 packages I've worked with went through the wave of if you had proper thermal profiles. But some people do prefer to reflow them and then cover them with a masking solder palllet. If your interested in the pallet give me a buzz offline.

Jim
GSC
972-494-1911