TECHNET Archives

November 2001

From:
Adrian Irwin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 18:30:31 +0000
This sounds like an excellent idea. I am particularly interested in PPM
bench marking for wavesoldering 0805 SMT. Would it be possible not only to
give the average but also a statistical representation of the PPM
distribution (Range, STDDev, min and Max).

Adrian Irwin
New Products Manager
Lambda UK

                    Bob Willis
                    <eps@BOBWILLI        To:     [log in to unmask]
                    S.CO.UK>             cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     [TN] PPM Monitoring and Benchmarking
                    TechNet

                    11/13/01
                    05:25 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "TechNet
                    E-Mail
                    Forum."

Based on the SMART Group On-Line survey on defect monitoring, to date the
use of PPM Parts Per Million Monitoring is the most popular method which is
well covered in the IPC document see www.smartgroup.org

I have asked the question before but would engineers like to have an
average PPM level each month for screen print, component placement, reflow
and wave soldering to compare with their own production results. It would
have to be based on a known technology but could be valuable as a point of
reference for benchmarking. Its a little project we are considering over
the UK and would like to know its value to other engineers. I know there
are many issues but as long as everyone know what the data is, where it
comes in terms of board type NOT COMPANY and how its calculated I think it
has a value.

Please let me know your thoughts on the subject.

Bob Willis
Electronic Presentation Services
2 Fourth Avenue
Chelmsford Essex CM1 4HA
England
www.bobwillis.co.uk
Tel: (44) 01245 351502 Fax: (44) 01245 496123

Single solution to your seminar, conference or roadshow
www.seminar-registrations.com