TECHNET Archives

November 2001

From:
David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 11:24:49 -0600
Hi Eric! Sorry but I humbly disagree. There is an abundance of published
industry data which shows that oxidized Sn/Cu intermetallic is one of the
more unsolderable surfaces encountered on an assembly. Problems with poor
plated thru hole fill due to "weak knees" (thin solder causes the  Sn/Cu
intermetallic at the hole rim to become oxidized) and thin HASL coatings
are just two examples of everyday industry solderability issues associated
with Sn/Cu IMCs. What type of flux did you use in your testing? Very
aggressive flux chemistries will allow the soldering of Sn/Cu IMCs but a
fair majority of the industry is moving away from these types of flux
formulations. With all that being said, without the Sn/Cu IMC we would have
no solder joints so it is a critical part of a solder joint.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins

Eric Dawson <[log in to unmask]>@ipc.org> on 11/12/2001 07:49:56 AM

Please respond to "TechNet E-Mail Forum." <[log in to unmask]>

Sent by:  TechNet <[log in to unmask]>