TECHNET Archives

November 2001

From:
Earl Moon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 08:13:47 -0600
Phil,

Thanks for observing this particular check-list partially is based upon ISO
9000/94 not 2000. I will be brutally honest with myself and you, as a
consultant on these (DFM/CE) and some other matters (MLB's, SMT, etc.), I
have been only about 40% successful helping implement anything resembling a
"real" DFM/CE program in any company professing to need it. I take
responsibility for my actions but am concerned about industry's reluctance
especially in times when making quality product and money is a function
relative to doing it right the first time. Some folks just don't get it.
Some never will. Others really embrace it.

Currently, I am working on the "new and improved" ISO requirements while
connecting DFM/CE to them. I would note that not long ago, it was professed,
by many ISO consultants (not me) the 94 requirements represented CPI. As
"bare bones" requirements, they certainly presented opportunities for this
and many realized it but in no way was the gap bridged using ISO alone. QS
9000 was born out of it, as ISO was born out of MIL-Q-9858A, and really took
things a step farther as evidenced by much higher quality American automobiles.

The new revision/version certainly does include and promote CPI. However, as
I usually work with people in reactionary modes (needing help to correct so
much wrong), I haven't gotten to the project, with anyone using or being
registered to the new ISO standard, though in depth though opportunities abound.

I am looking for more folks to embrace the opportunities both the new ISO
and DFM/CE requirements provide. I, as most, am certainly looking forward to
more CPI.

Earl