TECHNET Archives

November 2001

From:
Earl Moon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 23:18:38 -0600
For those interested, Steve placed an image derived from one of my TMA
results concering polyimide. If you have any trouble determining results,
please contact me. Also be advised, polyimide can achieve the highest Tg, if
improperly cured in the press or out, but that only means it comes apart
(delaminates and beyond) over a longer time than, say, a BT/epoxy blend.

Simply, the graph shows the delta T from start to destruction/delamination.
As important, it shows the %elongation over time also indicated. 12%
elongation was determined as a function of PPM/C discussed over the course
of some other postings.

Certainly, this is significant as plating thickness and ductility is an
issue of vital concern. Consider very high plated hole aspect ratios and the
elongation findings during the TMA. Again, for a high aspect ratio hole, how
much can it stand before coming apart?

MoonMan