TECHNET Archives

November 2001

From:
Bill Schreiber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 16:16:04 -0600
The most work I have seen done in this area has been by B. Richards and P.
Burton of GEC Marconi (UK).  One of their best papers is out of the IPC
Technical Review, June 1990, pp. 15-27, "Does Ultrasonic Cleaning of PCBs
Cause Component Problems: An Appraisal."  The EMPF also references this
paper in their TS0040, "Ultrasonic Cleaning of Military PWAs," April 1991.

In a nutshell, they say the gidelines are:  1) use "sweep" frequencies of
40 kHz or higher, 2) Use power of 11 watts/liter of wash solution or less
and 3) ultrasonically wash for 10 minutes or less.

If you need copies of these articles, send me an e-mail with your fax
number and I will send them off when I return from Productronica.

Regards,
Bill Schreiber
Smart Sonic Corporation

P.S. In the 11 years that we have offered our ultrasonic cleaning process,
I have never had a user contact me with PCB damage problems.