TECHNET Archives

November 2001

From:
Russell Burdick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 10:27:44 -0700
A couple of questions:

How is adhesion after thermal stress? Is this a real problem or just an odd
occurance that has someone nervous/curious?

What is the etchrate of the bath?

A couple of comments:

Usually, we can see a condition called 'spearheadding' when an over-etch
condition is present on our products. The conductor length appears to be
sticking out into the hole as normal, but the width of the conductor is
about 1/2W and gradually increases as you move closer to the hole wall where
it is close to original thickness.

Another question may be has anything caused the material to swell into the
hole instead of shrink the conductor. A sweller chemistry from desmear, if
permanganate chemistry is used, can be over done to cause some materials to
swell into the hole wall.

Back to the etchrate question. We have several types of copper etchants in
production. One, non-persulfate based, is used on our electroless copper
line and has an etchrate of 30 microinches per minute. The process has been
set up to remove 50-100 microinches of copper. The chemistry, time and
temperature have been determined to maintain the total remove depth.

We also have another bath, persulfate based, used in several final finish
processes. If given that the persulfate and sulfuric acid chemistry are at
pre-established levels, the temperature and the copper concentration will
dictate the etchrate of this bath. Little or no copper in the bath will
reduce the etchrate tremendously. Too much copper and the rate will be to
aggressive. Its etchrate is 40 microinches per minute at a temperature of 95
degrees F and a copper concentration of 11g/L. The time is adjusted to reach
the desired etch depth. A bath with no copper in it will have an etchrate of
approx. 15 microinches per minute. Often a new bath is 'doped' with leftover
previous chemistry from the same tank, or copper sulfate pentahydrate is
added to provide the needed copper.

I hope this helps. Offline I can be reached at 602-276-1600 to talk of this
til I'm blue in the face (pun intended).

Russ Burdick, process engineer, printed circuit mfg.