TECHNET Archives

October 2001

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 12:24:58 +0300
Jim,

This surprises me and I'd like to know more. In practice, in VP
soldering, I doubt whether there is any great significance. Firstly, the
bulk of the vapour is anaerobic, with just the top interface in contact
with the air. This air will be heated and therefore the RH, even in
humid climates, will become extremely small. Then PFCs are demonstrably
resistant to hydrolysis in the presence of free H and OH radicals (this
is why they have atmospheric residence times of thousands of years):
there is simply not enough energy available to break the F-C bonds.
Naturally, Mr Arrhenius will say that, at 200°C, the energy will be much
higher so there will be more reactivity, but it would require temps
exceeding 300°C for it to become significant. Notwithstanding, I believe
that we are talking about 1 molecule in 10^n where n is a very large
integer that will decompose at soldering temperature under practical
conditions in a given time, unless there is something new that I haven't
heard about (always possible, of course).

I just looked at Fluorinert data sheets on the 3M web site (requires
some searching!) and there is no mention of a hydrolytic reaction in
anything I could find.

Brian