TECHNET Archives

October 2001

From:
"Hiteshew, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 17:02:35 -0400
Pete,
        I'd have to disagree. I think Daan's board barely meets Level C
(reduced producibility) standards according to IPC-2221, Section 9.0.
Daan requires a 0.3mm (12 mil) diameter finished hole.  Add to that
** at least ** 0.2mm (8 mils) of fabrication allowance. That leaves
0.1mm (4 mils) left - that's 0.05mm (2 mils) of clearance between
the barrel and the surrounding copper that needs to be etched in a
production environment. That would be very tough to do under highly
controlled experimental conditions!
  In my humble opinion, that board was bound from the start to be a
problem once it got to production.

Michael Hiteshew
Lockheed Martin NE&SS Marine Systems
410-682-1259