TECHNET Archives

October 2001

From:
David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 07:34:00 -0500
Hi Phil! The latest and greatest information on tin whiskering phenomena
was given by Mike Toben and Rob Schetty at the IPC Fall meeting in Orlando.
Their presentations are contained in the Conference proceedings. Also check
out this paper:

http://download.lead-free.org/downloads/Baudry_STMicro_FIB_LeadFree_Plating_Analysis.pdf

The researchers used  Focused Ion Beam (FIB) microscopy to get a view of the "root" of a whisker (after seeing
the pictures I now know what I want for Xmas!). The FIB paper correlates very well with the Toben/Schetty presentations - we
might be finally getting close to understanding the cause of tin whiskering.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins

"Crepeau, Phil" <[log in to unmask]>@ipc.org> on 10/25/2001 06:25:52 PM

Please respond to "TechNet E-Mail Forum." <[log in to unmask]>

Sent by:  TechNet <[log in to unmask]>